Pelikan's history stretches back to 1832 when the chemist Carl Hornemann founded an ink factory in Hanover Germany. The company was subsequently bought by employee Gunter Wangner in 1871. Wangner took his family emblem, a pelican, for the company logo and Pelikan was born.
Pelikan produced the first bottle of its well-known Series 4001 fountain pen ink in 1901 and it's first fountain pen in 1929, a pen with Pelikan's now trademark green barrel.
Today the Pelikan Souveran fountain pen collection is regarded as one of the finest ranges of fountain pens in the world.