When there is a special occasion on the horizon —…
What to write in a new baby card
Welcoming a new arrival is one of the most heart-warming things you can do. Whether you’re congratulating a friend, family member, or colleague, what you write in a baby card should be meaningful — the family could cherish it for years to come.
Be inspired by our suggestions on what to write in a baby card and help the lucky family celebrate this special time. From simple to thoughtful, funny to sincere, there’s an idea for every type of message and recipient.
How to write a card for a newborn baby
Whatever message you write in your new baby card, make sure it’s full of love and warmth.
This time is a happy and exciting moment for the expanding family, so they’ll want to receive a wishing of congratulations, luck, and kindness. Here’s how to write the best card for a newborn baby.
- Address the recipients: Decide if you want to address the whole family, the parents, or just the mother if you plan to do something extra special for her.
- Add your congratulations: Include a simple, funny, or thoughtful message. What you choose largely depends on how close you are to the family and what they will appreciate most.
- Write a message of support: It’s touching to add a message of support for the new parents, either sentimental or with a touch of humour.
- Sign off: Remember to sign the card so they know who it’s from. The family will likely receive many good wishes over the first few weeks.
If you know the child’s name, it’s nice to include this, as it will be the first time the family sees their new addition featured in a card.
An excellent keepsake idea is to address the card to the baby itself. New parents will get so much joy from reading the card to their newborn, creating a special moment for the family.
In terms of what to write, you can’t go wrong with simple, heartwarming messages like these:
- Many congratulations on your new bundle of joy.
- Congratulations on your new arrival. Good luck with this new adventure!
- Congratulations on your beautiful new baby! We are all so very happy for you.
- Welcome to the world, little one. Thrilled you arrived safely, and I can’t wait to meet you soon!
- So happy for the three/four/five of you. Congratulations!
- Wishing you many congratulations on the birth of your beautiful new baby.
- Wishing you moments of joy with your new little baby.
- Wishing both you and your new baby all the best. Congratulations!
- So many happy and wonder-filled times ahead for you…congratulations.
- Welcome to the world, little one! So thrilled you’re here!
- What a fortunate baby. Congratulations!
What to write in a new baby girl card
Sometimes it’s nice to make your card more gender specific, especially if you’re closer to the family or they would appreciate congratulations on their new baby boy or girl.
For example, if the couple shared the baby’s sex at a baby shower or gender reveal party, tailoring your newborn card to mention this is a considerate addition.
Here are some lovely examples of what to write in a new baby girl card.
- Here’s to a bubbly baby girl to love and spoil. Congratulations!
- Sugar and spice, may your new baby girl bring you everything nice!
- Congratulations on the birth of your pretty little girl! I wish this sweetheart a lot of health, joy and love.
- Congratulations! I have no doubts you will shower your little angel with love, and I can’t wait to meet her!
- Warmest congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl!
- A baby girl! Get ready for lots of laughter and noise, big hugs and joy.
What to write in a new baby boy card
If the family are welcoming a new baby boy, these touching messages are sure to warm their hearts:
- Oh boy! We can’t wait to meet your little guy.
- Here’s to lots of fun and joy with your little boy!
- May your baby boy bring you loads of joy and excitement.
- Congratulations on your gorgeous baby boy! We wish you every happiness.
- Congratulations on the arrival of your baby boy. I cannot wait to meet him.
- Best wishes on your new baby boy! This little guy will change your world in the best possible way.
What to write in a new baby card for twins
Double trouble, yet twice as nice! A unique message is required if your friend or family members welcome twins.
Be inspired by these suggestions:
- Wishing you double the congratulations.
- Now you have two reasons to smile!
- Double the baby, double the excitement, and double the trouble!
- We can’t wait to see double the cuteness.
- A double dose of love! What could be better?
- Born with a friend — how fun is that? Congratulations!
What to write in a new baby card from grandparents
If the lucky family only chooses one or two newborn cards to keep, it’s likely to be those from the grandparents.
Grandparents have an extraordinary role to play, which is why it’s nice for their message to mention this closeness:
- We are overjoyed to welcome our baby’s very own baby into the world.
- Babies don’t come with instruction manuals. But that’s what grandparents are for!
- We are so excited about making lasting memories with our new grandbaby.
- Remember, you can’t return them when they misbehave, but you can always drop them off with us!
- We’ve baby-proofed the house, practised lullabies, and can’t wait to be incredible grandparents to [child’s name].
What to write in an adoption baby card
While the way an adopted baby enters a family may differ, the love and excitement surrounding the parents are just as strong.
Share this new journey and offer your congratulations with these special messages:
- This precious baby was meant for you, and you for them — warmest congratulations to your beautiful family.
- So proud of your family for making this baby’s life a good one, and so happy for you and all the wonder coming your way. Congratulations!
- I love seeing your dream come true like this. Definitely worth the wait!
- You’re going to make your baby’s life so wonderful. They are lucky to have you.
- You must be over the moon to finally hold your mini-human in your arms!
- Congratulations on your beautiful baby. We are so glad to hear they arrived home safely.
Funny messages to write a new baby card
Some parents may appreciate a touch of humour in their newborn card, especially if you’re closer to the family and want to include a funny, unique message.
Sarcasm and joke warnings, such as the following, always go down well in new baby cards:
- Congrats on b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶9̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶b̶e̶r̶ your new baby!
- Welcome to the new world, little one — tell your parents I’ll see them in 18 years.
- Congrats mummy & daddy… let the noise begin!
- Congratulations on your new toilet machine.
- Welcome to the world of Parenthood — the only place you can experience heaven and hell at the same time!
- Sleep is overrated. You’ve got this.
What to write in a new baby card for difficult circumstances
When a birth is difficult or the new baby is still going through challenging circumstances, sending heart-warming messages of hope and joy is integral.
It’s best not to address specific issues but instead allow your words the power to restore confidence and wish them well.
Stay kind and optimistic with these sincere messages:
- Sending our congratulations on the birth of your baby. Keeping the whole family in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.
- Sending you happy and hopeful thoughts for your lives together.
- Congratulations! I wish you could spend these early weeks getting to know your baby at home, but it’s good to know they are getting the care they need.
- A warm, happy welcome to baby and lots of love and healing thoughts.