Keeping a Gratitude Journal has many benefits – both mental…
Your journal can be an excellent tool for getting to know yourself. You might think you know yourself fairly well already, but these journal prompts will encourage you to think about things you normally wouldn’t, and from an entirely different perspective. Read through the prompts, then work through them one-by-one over the next year and get to know the real you.
- What is your greatest strength? Describe a time this strength truly helped you out.
- What is your greatest weakness? Describe a time this weakness held you back.
- How do you show people you love them? Do you use words? Actions?
- Congratulations! Something brilliant has happened. Who do you tell first, and how? Do you announce it on social media? Do you call your best friend? Do you text someone?
- You see someone dropping litter in the street. What do you do? Do you approach them about it, or ignore it? Do you pick the litter up for them?
- What do you do when you want to cheer yourself up?
- What is your ideal way to spend an evening?
- Would you prefer to have a job you love for a low wage or a job you hate for a great wage? Do you love your job? What are your favourite aspects of it?
- Consider how the people in your life make you feel and how that will affect how much you see of them in the future.
- Describe your favourite hobby and what exactly it is that you enjoy so much about it.
- Write the advice you would give to your teenage self.
- When do you feel at your most energised?
- When do you feel at your most drained?
- What is the best holiday you’ve ever been on, and what made it stand out for you?
- Write the words you need to hear.
- What is your favourite childhood memory and why?
- If you’re talking to a group of people and the rest of them share an opinion on something but you disagree, will you speak up or just agree with them?
- What is your favourite part of your body and why?
- What is your least favourite part of your body and why?
- What or who could you not live without?
- Write about a time that a friend went out of their way to help you. How did it make you feel?
- Have you ever missed out on an opportunity and regretted it? What was it and why do you now regret it?
- What are your favourite character traits in others? Do you have these traits yourself?
- Do you enjoy parties?
- Can you keep a secret? Give an example or when you have or haven’t kept one, and what happened as a result of that.
- You’re overwhelmed with tasks at work. Do you speak up or suffer in silence?
- Write about what you wish others took the time to learn about you.
- What is the most pain you’ve ever been in? Emotional or physical. What was the experience like?
- List 20 things that make you smile.
- What makes you cry?
Do you have some more ideas? Add them in the comments below!
Looking for more information on journaling? Read our Journal Ideas to Help You Tackle Anxiety blog post.